Kevin Spacey, charged with sexual assault, pleads innocent in London

published on Thursday, July 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM

American actor Kevin Spacey pleaded not guilty in London on Thursday during a pre-trial hearing in a British court, on charges of sexually assaulting three men.

Released almost a month ago after an initial hearing, the star actor of the “House of Cards” series is being prosecuted for four sexual assaults on three men between March 2005 and April 2013.

The 62-year-old comedian, who arrived at the Old Bailey court in a blue suit, is also charged with coercing one of them into invasive sexual activity without his consent, a charge separate from the rape (which involved penetration with a penis) in English law.

He pleaded not guilty to all of these charges.

Some of the offenses are said to have been committed in the Lambeth area of ​​London, which is home to the Old Vic theatre, of which he was artistic director between 2004 and 2015.

After the green light from the prosecution, the actor said he was “disappointed” but announced that he would appear in British courts to “prove his innocence”.

“Mr. Spacey strongly denies any criminal act in this case,” his attorney, Patrick Gibbs, had stated on June 16, “he must heed these allegations to continue his life.”

– Wake of #MeeToo –

The charges against him were filed in the wake of the #MeToo movement and the Weinstein scandal, named after the American film producer who was the target of numerous allegations of harassment and assault revealed in late 2017.

They had serious consequences for the career of the two-time Oscar winner (for “American Beauty” and “Usual Suspects”). Evolving on stage before devoting himself to cinema, he had landed by Netflix from the hit series “House of Cards”, where he played the main character.

However, his big return to cinema – in the movie “L’uomo Che Disegno Dio” (The Man Who Draws God) – was announced last year.

In the United States, Kevin Spacey was charged with indecent assault and sexual assault in the state of Massachusetts, on the east coast. He was accused of getting the sex of an 18-year-old young man who worked in a bar in July 2016 after letting him drink.

But the charges were dropped in July 2019.

In late May, he appeared before a New York judge for a procedural hearing in a civil suit filed by actor Anthony Rapp, who accused him of making sexual advances to her when he was a teenager. Kevin Spacey had denied and the action was dropped in criminal proceedings.

Leave a Comment